This research center, named after the internist Max Bürger (1885 – 1966), brings together under one roof the Institutes for Immunology and Virology at the University of Leipzig. The new research building was designed for stylistic compatibility with the university hospital’s villa-like structures, and it retains the frontage lines and eaves height of the existing buildings. The trees on the site were preserved, and a connection was built to the Institute for Pathology, a protected landmark.
Inside, the clustered construction with its clearly demarcated zones makes for maximum flexibility and clarity of organization. Attached to the laboratories are so-called “thinking cells” which afford researchers a quiet place of refuge to optimize their work process. ComMunichation areas in the atrium promote the exchange of information.
Completion: March 2000
This function has been disabled for Nickl & Partner.