This hospital was built around 1890 in the typical “pavilion” style of the time, consisting of relatively small buildings and large areas of greenery. Today, it is a listed site. An international competition was held to replace the surgical clinic and wards with a new building, whose form and orientation matches the long, narrow buildings of the existing hospital.
The design also incorporates and reinterprets the distinctive tiles of the current structure, and preserves the contrast between the individual buildings and the surrounding parkland. A transparent linking structure joins the three buildings into a single entity and minimises the distances between them.
Date of completion: 2008